Ørsted, Eversource sign up Groton maritime technology developer
Groton – Ørsted and Eversource announced Thursday the signing of a memorandum of understanding with ThayerMahan, a Groton-based marine robotics and maritime surveillance company that will monitor wildlife and seabeds in connection with the Revolution Wind offshore wind project.
“When we started looking at growing the offshore wind industry in Connecticut, one of the most important factors was ensuring we are setting up in an area with some of the best innovators and most skilled workforce in the world,” Thomas Brostrøm, chief executive officer of Ørsted U.S. Offshore Wind, said in a statement. “Offshore wind is part of the next generation of green energy and green technology, and we need partners who are the best in their industry. The people at ThayerMahan are remarkable inventors, and their technology will help us reduce any disruption offshore wind might have on North Atlantic marine life and the local fishing fleets.”
"In addition to the hundreds of well-paying, local jobs that will be required to construct our Revolution Wind project, utilizing local partners like ThayerMahan will be critical to the overall success of our projects in Connecticut and beyond,” said Mike Ausere, Eversource vice president of business development. “We look forward to working with ThayerMahan to bring our Revolution Wind project to life and advance Connecticut's clean energy economy and achieve its aggressive climate goals.”
Revolution Wind is expected to be operational in 2023, delivering 304 megawatts of energy.
“This MOU is yet another commitment, in writing, that offshore wind will grow Connecticut's economy and that the joint venture is truly interested in working with our local developers and inventors,” said ThayerMahan CEO Mike Connor.
The services that ThayerMahan and Ørsted/Eversource would explore include but are not limited to:
• Marine mammal monitoring using passive acoustic, mobile detection systems featuring ThayerMahan's proprietary Outpost sonar system for detecting, classifying and reporting on NARW – North Atlantic Right Whales and other marine mammals.
• Environmental monitoring from fixed and mobile systems
• METOCEAN measurements and weather forecasting
• Marine traffic and wind project vessel traffic monitoring
• Seabed survey and inspections of undersea cable and monopile systems during construction and operations.
• Balance of plant services including operations and maintenance of wind turbine generators, monopole foundations, transition pieces, onshore substations and array and export cable surveys.
• Land-based real estate and construction consulting services including permit assist, land/purchase assist, zoning and entitlement assist, construction management and monitoring.